The Beth-el Children's Home was established in Caulfield, in 1963 and later also occupied sites in Balwyn and Canterbury. The Home was operated by a nursing sister. From 1978 the Home did not house any wards of state. It continued to receive private placements until at least 1983.
The Beth-el Children's Home was established in 1963. Its original location was 8 Amelia Street, Caulfield. Over its years of operation it occupied a number of different sites, including 16 Yerrin Street, Balwyn and 12 Carinda Road, Canterbury. The purchase of the property in Canterbury was part funded by the Victorian government, to ensure some stability in the Home's location.
The Home was operated by an individual (a nursing sister) under the Infant Life Protection provisions of the Children's Welfare Act 1958.
According to Jenkinson, 'changes in child care provision, oversupply of beds, and low demand in the inner-eastern region saw the home phased out in the late 1970s'. The Department ceased its funding, and did not place wards at Beth-El from 1978. However, the Home continued to operate (with private placements) until at least 1983.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 11 November 2010, Last modified: 27 August 2013