The Montrose Home for Crippled Children, run by the Queensland Society for Crippled Children, opened in 1933. Businessman and philanthropist, Mr George Marchant, donated his own home at Taringa to the Society. Mr Marchant later gifted the site at Consort Street, Corinda to the Society in 1937.
The Montrose Home provided accommodation for 90 children, and such services as schooling and dental treatment. In 1959 Montrose extended its services to include children with muscular disabilities, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and other debilitating conditions. In the early 1980s, families began to care for their children in their own homes, with Montrose staff providing services and support.
Sources used to compile this entry: Montrose Access, 'Our Journey', in Montrose Therapy & Respite Services website, 2016, http://www.montrose.org.au/about-us/our-history/.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 7 December 2011, Last modified: 18 June 2014