The Aboriginal Girls' Hostel was established in Broome in 1970. It was initially established as a hostel for girls and unmarried mothers travelling to Broome from nearby missions. However, it was soon dedicated solely to children aged 0 - 14 years old, some of whom were state wards, and women escaping domestic violence. The Hostel had capacity for around 13 children. It was likely run by the Catholic Diocese of Broome, as it was located on the same site as the Maria Goretti Home, and the Sisters of St John of God offices. The Hostel ran into difficulties following the closure of the Maria Goretti Home in late 1973, as many of its supplies were sourced through that Home. In late 1975 the Aboriginal Girls' Hostel closed, and was replaced by Catherine House, which was managed by the same two staff members as the Hostel. Children who had been living at the Aboriginal Girls' Hostel were transferred to Catherine House on its closure.
1970 - 1975 Aboriginal Girls' Hostel
1975 - 1991? Catherine House, Broome
Sources used to compile this entry: State Solicitor's Office of Western Australia, Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia, Government of Western Australia, 2005, http://web.archive.org/web/20140126131607/http://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/lantu/MediaPublications/Documents/Guide-to-Institutions-attended-by-Aboriginal-people-in-WA-2005.pdf; Hostels - Broome - Proposed Residential Child Care Facility, State Records Office of Western Australia, Series: 1099, Cons: 2608, Item: A4298.
Prepared by: Constance Thurley-Hart
Created: 17 August 2022