Swanleigh Council was the body formed in 1959 to develop and govern the largest Anglican institution, Swanleigh, which replaced Swan Homes in 1960. In 1962 Swanleigh Council was replaced by The Swanleigh Hostel Council.
In The Noisy Mansions (1986, pp.210-214), former Director of Swan Homes and Swanleigh, Roy Peterkin gave an overview of the role of the Swanleigh Council and other boards and committees of the Anglican Diocese of Perth which governed Anglican children's homes.
In 1959, the Swanleigh Council was formed to develop and then govern Swanleigh which was to replace the Swan Homes.
In 1960, to facilitate the establishment of Swanleigh as a hostel, Swanleigh Council proposed that the objects of the original Perth Girls' Orphanage (or 'Protestant Orphanage') be amended to include 'hostel accommodation of any children whom the Council in its absolute discretion saw fit to enroll to enable them to further their education' (Peterkin, p.188). This amendment became contingent upon an amalgamation of Swanleigh and Parkerville that never occurred, and so lapsed. According to Peterkin, this meant that Swanleigh, in order to obtain money from endowments held by the Diocesan Trustees, had to ensure that those monies were expended on 'needy' children, rather than fee-paying boarders.
Swanleigh Council was replaced by The Swanleigh Hostel Council in 1962.
Sources used to compile this entry: Peterkin, A. Roy, The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971, Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia, Midland, Western Australia, 1986. pp.188, 210-214.; Email from Diocesan Archivist, Anglican Diocese of Perth, 30 July 2014.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 31 October 2014