The Mary Clementina Hostel for Girls who went to Bunbury High School was established by the Sisters of St Elizabeth of Hungary, a group of Anglican nuns, in Bunbury in 1931. The hostel was named after Mary Clementina Benthall, who donated £1500. The hostel closed in 1952.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Woman's Interests [Mary Clementina Hostel]', The West Australian, 2 June 1931, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32523663; Heritage Council of Western Australia, 'Bunbury Senior High School', in inHerit, Western Australia State Heritage Office, Government of Western Australia, 8 February 2015, http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/public/p/5613. p.8.; Riordan, Noreen, 'Religious orders, Anglican women', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, p. 754.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 6 March 2013, Last modified: 28 November 2014