Perth Native School, which was also known as the Wesleyan Native School and Perth Native Institution, was a residential school for Aboriginal children established in Perth by the Wesleyan Reverend John Smithies. At first, the students stayed in the home of Francis Fraser Armstrong but moved to a 'mission house' in William Street in 1841. The school closed in 1845 and the children went to the Wanneroo Mission.
Sources used to compile this entry: Peterkin, A. Roy, The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971, Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia, Midland, Western Australia, 1986. p.4.; State Solicitor's Office of Western Australia, 'p.120', Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia, Government of Western Australia, 2005, http://web.archive.org/web/20140126131607/http://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/lantu/MediaPublications/Documents/Guide-to-Institutions-attended-by-Aboriginal-people-in-WA-2005.pdf.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 3 September 2012, Last modified: 12 November 2018