A Church of England orphanage for boys was opened on the same site as the Perth Girls' Orphanage near the Causeway on 1 June 1869, with four boys admitted. The boys and girls' orphanages were separated by a 'five-foot high close-picket fence'. In 1876 the boys were transferred to the new Swan Boys' orphanage at Middle Swan.
1869 - 1876 Perth Boys' Orphanage
1876 - 1942 Swan Boys' Orphanage
1943 - 1959 Swan Homes
1960 - 2010 Swanleigh
Sources used to compile this entry: Peterkin, A. Roy, The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971, Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia, Midland, Western Australia, 1986. pp.12,17..
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 3 September 2012, Last modified: 28 November 2014