Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Western Australia - Event
Inquiry into the Implementation of the Recommendations of the Lost Innocents and Forgotten Australians Reports (2008 - 2009)
In September 2008, the Senate referred the following matter to the Community Affairs Committee for inquiry and report:
Progress with the implementation of the recommendations in the reports by the Community Affairs References Committee, Lost Innocents: Righting the Record, a report on child migration tabled in August 2001, and Forgotten Australians, a report on Australians who experienced institutional or out-of-home care as children tabled in August 2004.
The committee's report, 'Lost Innocents and Forgotten Australians Revisited', was released in June 2009.
- National Museum of Australia, Inside: Life in Children's Homes and Institutions, Australian Government, 2010, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/. Details
- National Museum of Australia and Ryebuck Media, The Forgotten Australians: What do they tell us about social life in Australia in the twentieth century?, National Museum Australia, 2011, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/forgotten_australians_colour2.pdf. Details
- National Museum of Australia; National Library of Australia, Forgotten Australians: Our History, Australian Government, 2009, http://forgottenaustralianshistory.gov.au/index.html. Details
- Parliament of Australia Senate, Forgotten Australians: A report on Australians who experienced institutional or out-of-home care as children, Senate Community Affairs References Committee, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/report/index.htm. Details
- Parliament of Australia Senate, Lost Innocents: Righting the Record Report on Child Migration, Community Affairs References Committee, Senate Printing Unit, Canberra, 2001, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/completed_inquiries/1999-02/child_migrat/report/index.htm. Details
- Senate Community Affairs References Committee Secretariat, Parliament of Australia, Lost Innocents and Forgotten Australians Revisited: Report on the progress with the implementation of the recommendations of the Lost Innocents and Forgotten Australians Reports, Parliament of Australia website, Commonwealth of Australia, 25 June 2009, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2008-10/recs_lost_innocents_forgotten_aust_rpts/report/index. Details
- Senate Standing Committees on Community Affairs, 'Protecting vulnerable children: a national challenge', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care (2003 - 2004), Commonwealth of Australia, 17 March 2005, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/report2/index.htm. Details
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill and Debra Rosser
Created: 26 July 2012, Last modified: 24 February 2015