Geraldton Boys' Employment Hostel was a government-run hostel for (mostly) Aboriginal boys of working-age in Geraldton. It was established around 1973 and closed in 1979. The building was later used by the Aboriginal Boomerang Council Inc for the Boomerang Youth Hostel.
In government records, this hostel is sometimes referred to as an 'Anglican hostel'. It is possible that before it became a 'subsidised centre' under the Child Welfare Act in 1979 (Government Gazette WA 1979/055), this hostel was previously managed by the Anglican Diocese of North West Australia, on behalf of the Department.
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx; State Records Office of Western Australia, Wards - Director's Approval to Transfer from one Institution to Another and Amend Training, Reference Code AU WA S1099- cons2607 A0191 V4 (p.79, 347) - page numbers refer to PDF page number in digital file held by the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) in 2017. Government Gazette WA 1979/055, p.2602.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 21 November 2018