Darlington Cottage, a government-run facility, was established at first to house up to ten school-age boys from Hillston in a group home setting. When Hillston closed in 1983, Darlington Cottage became Darlington Hostel.
According to government reports (Signposts 2004, pp.183-184), Darlington Cottage was a large house, able to accommodate up to 10 boys at one time. By 1977, it had become part of the Hillston detention centre and in 1980 was described as a 'half-way house' of Hillston, with boys' progress at school and socially at Darlington being 'closely monitored' and reviewed weekly, according to reports in 1982.
After Hillston closed in 1983, Darlington remained as a government-run Home.
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'pp.184-186', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 3 June 2014