The St Mary's Hostel was a hostel providing accommodation for up to 20 young women working in the Geelong area. It was initally run by The Legion of Mary, and from 1964 came under the administration of the Sisters of the Holy Angels. The hostel was located in a building called "Hawthorne" at 39 Skene Street, Newtown, Geelong. The Care Leavers Australasia Network state that state wards were sent to St Mary's Hostel from Winlaton, and worked in a laundry associated with the hostel. Some young women from Pirra Girls' Home were also sent to St Mary's Hostel. The closing date for St Mary's Hostel is not yet known.
Sources used to compile this entry: New Catholic Hostel at Geelong, Advocate, 15 August 1945, 8 pp, https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/172222102; Sisters of the Fallen Angels, Care Leavers Australasia Network, 2021, https://clan.org.au/orphanages/sisters-of-the-fallen-angels/; Advertising - Situations Vacant (16 March 1950), Advocate, p.23. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article172510197.
Prepared by: Constance Thurley-Hart
Created: 28 July 2021, Last modified: 16 November 2021