The Bukawert Reformatory School opened in 1894 in Buln Buln, West Gippsland. It was gazetted as a 'reformatory school for Protestant boys' in 1894, and was located on the premises of Henry Beresford Sadleir, who was appointed as the Superintendent. It closed in 1899.
The Bukawert Reformatory School was a private reformatory, which attempted to extend to the boys who were sent there the advantages of the boarding out system. The policy intended to 'strengthen the hand' of the superintendent by placing as few children as possible in each school, thus enabling him to take an interest in each boy in order to exert a reforming influence.
In 1898 the school moved to another site as a result of a bushfire. At the time three boys were at the school, five were 'at service' and two boys were on probation.
The school closed in 1899.
Sources used to compile this entry: Department for Neglected Children and Reformatory Schools. Report of the Secretary., Government Printer, Melbourne, 1888 - 1924; Victorian Government Gazette, 13 July 1894, p.3.
Prepared by: Rosemary Francis
Created: 10 July 2013, Last modified: 3 October 2018