Yooralla was established in Balwyn in 1945. It was a hostel and school for children with a disability. It accommodated some Victorian wards of state. The Balwyn site and facilities were sold in 1993.
Yooralla purchased a property on the corner of Belmore and Balwyn Roads, known as Windsor Lodge, in 1945. This became a hostel with accommodation for children, and a school was established by the Education Department on the adjacent site.
Yooralla had first begun as a kindergarten for children with disabilities in 1918. Located in Drummond, and later Pelham Street, in Carlton, it was renamed Yooralla Hospital School and Kindergarten in 1922.
In 1959, following the first GTV9 Telethon for Yooralla, funds were raised which enabled the expansion of the Balwyn hostel and school, and the establishment of a medical treatment block.
In 1977, Yooralla merged with the Victorian Society for Crippled Children and Adults to become the Yooralla Society of Victoria. The Balwyn site and facilities were sold in 1993.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 2 August 2011, Last modified: 6 November 2018