McAuley House was established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1942. It was a hostel for around 15 young women. The hostel was closed and the property sold in 1965.
McAuley House was established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1942 (Catherine McAuley founded the Order in Ireland in 1831).
The Sisters saw the need for an institution for former residents of their orphanages to live when working in Melbourne. McAuley House had accommodation for 15 young women.
The hostel was closed and the property sold in 1965. The proceeds of the sale were used to establish a replacement hostel at 19 Glyndon Avenue, Brighton.
Sources used to compile this entry: Barnard, Jill; Twigg, Karen, Holding on to Hope: a history of the founding agencies of MacKillop Family Services 1854-1997, Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 2004; Guide to Out-of-Home Care Services 1940-2000 - Volume Two: Data Base, with Department of Human Services, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0277.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 7 May 2010, Last modified: 28 February 2019