The Young Catholic Workers' Hostel, Albert Park, was established in 1946, for boys from St Augustine's Orphanage, Geelong, who had found employment in Melbourne. It was run by the Young Christian Workers Movement. The Hostel closed in 1963.
The Young Catholic Workers' Hostel opened in 1946 to provide a base for boys working in Melbourne. The hostel was established by the Young Christian Workers' Movement under a scheme where the Victorian government subsidised young people living in hostels because they recognised the importance of helping young people make the transition from institutional care.
Sources used to compile this entry: Report of the Director: Children's Welfare Department, Government Printer, Melbourne, 1955-1960. 1959 annual report.; Barnard, Jill; Twigg, Karen, Holding on to Hope: a history of the founding agencies of MacKillop Family Services 1854-1997, Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 2004.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 March 2010, Last modified: 5 November 2018