An Inspector of Public Charities appears to have been first appointed in late 1880 within the Department of the Treasurer. The position of Inspector had been recommended by the Royal Commission into Charitable Institutions of 1870 . The Inspector undertook the investigation of the management, and audit of the accounts, of institutions receiving assistance from the Government. In 1923, this function was taken over by the Charities Board of Victoria.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'VF 67 - Hospitals and Charities', in Public Record Office Victoria Online Catalogue, Function details, catalogue entry, Public Record Office Victoria, http://www.prov.vic.gov.au.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 5 January 2010, Last modified: 2 July 2014