Hayeslee House was established in 1976 in Ballarat. It was run by the committee that also managed Lisa Lodge Girls' Hostel. Initially, Hayeslee was created to accommodate adolescent girls being transferred from Nazareth House, Ballarat, which closed in 1976. Hayeslee House accommodated boys and girls, aged 11 to 15 from the Ballarat district. In 1977 Hayeslee House moved to Sebastopol. Some time after the closure of the Lisa Lodge Girls' Hostel in 1994, Hayeslee House also became known as Lisa Lodge.
Hayeslee House was established in late 1976, initially as a transition facility for a group of adolescent girls being transferred from Nazareth House, Ballarat, which was closing. It was run by the same committee that managed Lisa Lodge Girls' Hostel.
Hayeslee House accommodated children aged between 11 and 15, of both genders.
Hayeslee House was first established in a house lent to the committee by Ballarat Children's Homes. This temporary location was in Geelong Road. Subsequently, the committee purchased 17 Clarkson Street, Sebastapol and Hayeslee House moved there in May 1977.
It was named after Sister Rita Hayes, the first superintendent of Lisa Lodge Girls' Hostel.
Hayeslee House was renamed 'Lisa Lodge' some time after the closure of the original Lisa Lodge Girls' Hostel, Ballarat, in 1994.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf; Guide to Out-of-Home Care Services 1940-2000 - Volume Two: Data Base, with Department of Human Services, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0277.pdf; Noyce, Di, Lisa Lodge: A Passion for the Cause, Lisa Lodge, Ballarat, 2012.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 9 October 2009, Last modified: 5 November 2018