The Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children's Home was established around 1921. It provided accommodation for single mothers and their babies. The Alexandra Babies' Home, also managed by the Mission, was on the same site. The organisation came into being when it took over the Canadian Rescue and Children's Home, and the George Street Children's Home. The Home provided care to single mothers and their children until it closed in 1941.
1867 - 1921 Ballarat Female Refuge
1897 - c. 1921 Canadian Rescue and Children's Home
1916 - c. 1920 George Street Children's Home
c. 1921 - 1941 Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children's Home
Sources used to compile this entry: Wickham, Dorothy Glennys, Beyond the Wall: Ballarat Female Refuge, A Study in Moral Authority, A thesis submitted in total fulfillment of the requirements of the degree Masters of Philosophy, Australian Catholic University, 2003, http://researchbank.acu.edu.au/theses/69/.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 9 October 2009, Last modified: 5 November 2018