The Community of the Holy Name is a religious order, founded by Sister Esther in 1888. Sister Esther led the work in Melbourne of the Mission to the Streets and Lanes. Many of the women who worked in institutions run by the Mission to the Streets and Lanes were Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name.
The Sisters were based at Mission House, which was located in an old bakery in Little Lonsdale Street. In 1918, Mission House moved to new premises in Spring Street, Melbourne.
The Sisters provided a range of services for 'slum dwellers' in Melbourne, including classes, soup kitchens and mothers' clubs.
The House of Mercy home for 'wayward girls' in Cheltenham later became the Retreat House for the Community of the Holy Name.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 2 October 2009, Last modified: 16 March 2015