The Hospitals and Charities Commission came into being in 1948 under the terms of the Hospitals and Charities Act 1948 (no.5200). The Commission assumed responsibility for functions previously administered by the Charities Board. Its responsibilities included the management and registration of institutions providing residential care to children and young people. The Commission was responsible for the payment of subsidies to registered institutions, which were used for maintenance and capital works. In 1978, the Commission was replaced by the Health
Commission of Victoria.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Agency VA 693 Hospitals and Charities Commission', in Public Record Office Victoria Online Catalogue, Agency details, catalogue entry, Public Record Office Victoria, http://www.prov.vic.gov.au.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 31 July 2009, Last modified: 28 October 2011