Resurrection House, Essendon was established in 1952 and run by the Sisters of the Resurrection. First intended for Polish migrants, it housed children from 1954, including some state wards. It ceased to be a children's home in 1971.
Resurrection House was situated at 6 Aberfeldie Street, Essendon. It was run by the Sisters of the Resurrection, a Polish order of Catholic nuns. The institution was originally intended to accommodate Polish migrants.
Jenkinson writes that from time to time, Resurrection House received wards. In October 1957, Resurrection House was declared as an approved children's home under the Children's Welfare Act 1954.
In 1971, the Sisters advised the Department that Resurrection House would be terminating its function as an approved children's home.
Sources used to compile this entry: Victoria Government Gazette Online Archive 1836-1997, State Library of Victoria, 2009, http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 9 July 2009, Last modified: 30 October 2018