The Illoura Children's Home, in Balwyn, Social Welfare Department was established in 1964. It housed up to 36 children including; boys from 5 to 9 years of age and girls from 5 to 15 years of age, many in sibling groups. From the 1970s it housed fewer children in residential units. Illoura closed in 1984.
The Social Welfare Department established the Illoura Children's Home in 1964 to alleviate overcrowding at Allambie. The property was purchased from the Australian Jewish Welfare and Relief Society - it was formerly the Frances Barkman Children's Homes, located in the mansion 'Larino' in Balwyn.
The first children were admitted to Illoura in August 1965. The Home provided care for up to 36 children including; boys from 5 to 9 years of age and girls from 5 to 15 years of age, many in sibling groups.
Illoura had three self-contained units within a large two-storey building. There was a teenage unit, a unit accommodating young people over 10 years of age, a family care unit for younger children and a few short term residents.
By 1971 the Home was reorganised into four completely self contained units and by the early 1980s the capacity of the home was reduced to 24 but averaged only 18 residents at any one time.
As part of the redevelopment of residential care resources, Illoura was closed by the Department in 1984. Proceeds of the sale went towards providing alternatives to institutional care for children and young people.
Sources used to compile this entry: Annual report: Department of Community Welfare Services, Victoria, Government Printer, Melbourne, 1978-84. p.30.; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 9 July 2009, Last modified: 28 February 2018