The Central Dorcas Society was a Wesleyan organisation established at a meeting of over 100 women in 1888. The aims of the Society were 'to help the poor and look after waifs'. After a name change to the Central Dorcas Association Help and Rescue Society, in 1891 the Society became known as the Wesleyan Church Neglected Children's Aid Society.
Local Dorcas Societies operated within Wesleyan congregations in Melbourne during the 1880s to provide charity workers with money, clothing and food.
In August 1888, the Central Dorcas Society opened the Temporary House for Destitute Children in Carlton.
1888 - 1891 Central Dorcas Society
1891 - ? Wesleyan Church Neglected Children's Aid Society
Sources used to compile this entry: Howe, Renate; Swain, Shurlee, All God's Children: a centenary history of the Methodist Homes for Children and the Orana Peace Memorial Homes, Acorn Press, Kambah, ACT, 1989.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 8 May 2009, Last modified: 5 March 2014