The Heidelberg Boys' Home was established by the Salvation Army in 1893. It first housed eight boys from the government reformatory. It closed in 1895.
The Heidelberg Boys' Home was established by the Salvation Army in 1893. It was situated on a small property in Heidelberg.
The Salvation Army received 8 boys from the government reformatory in 1893, the first residents of the Heidelberg institution. The home at Heidelberg was short-lived. In 1897, the Salvation Army went on to establish much larger reformatory institution in Pakenham, the Bayswater Boys' Homes.
Sources used to compile this entry: Magnificent work of boys' home. Rebuilding funds sought., The Argus, 3 June 1944, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11804560; The Salvation Army Australia Southern Territory, 'Children's Homes: A list of openings, closings and function (submission 46)', in Inquiry into Institutional Care: Submissions received as at 17/03/05, Commonwealth of Australia, 2005, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 1 May 2009, Last modified: 29 October 2018