Glastonbury- Geelong Protestant Orphanage was the new name given in 1955 to the Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage. In 1977, the name changed again, to Glastonbury Children's Home.
In 1955, Glastonbury- Geelong Protestant Orphanage applied to the Victorian government for registration as an approved children's home. The inclusion of Glastonbury in its new name acknowledged one of the first patrons of the orphanage, James Austin.
Reflecting the changing nature of child welfare at that time, in 1974, the organisation established its first family group home, located at 22 The Avenue, Belmont (Geelong).
Glastonbury Primary School (no. 3656) which opened in 1910 was destroyed by fire in October 1968. After operating in temporary accommodation for the remainder of that year, the school closed on 19 December 1968.
In 1977, the name changed again, to Glastonbury Children's Home.
c. 1854 - 1862 Geelong Orphan Asylum
1862 - 1909 Geelong Protestant Orphan Asylum
1909 - 1955 Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage
1955 - 1977 Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage
1977 - 1984 Glastonbury Children's Home
1984 - 2011 Glastonbury Child and Family Services
2011 - 2015 Glastonbury Community Services
2015 - Barwon Child, Youth & Family
Sources used to compile this entry: Public Record Office Victoria agency description for VA 3294 Glastonbury (Primary School No. 3656).
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 20 February 2009, Last modified: 28 February 2018