Butler House for Homeless Girls, Carlton, was established by the Mission of St James in 1934 at 97 Drummond Street, Carlton. It was intended for 'homeless and friendless girls', especially young women from Fairhaven and Kedesh Maternity Home. Butler House for Homeless Girls had closed by 1944, at which time the building was being used as a hostel for the Education Department.
Sources used to compile this entry: Butler House Opened by Mrs. Head, The Argus, 20 April 1934, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10929340; Monk, Joanne; O'Donoghue, Gina, Billylids and 'Home Kids': The Story of The Mission of St James and St John 1919-1994, The Mission of St. James and St. John, Surrey Hills, Victoria, 1994.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 February 2009, Last modified: 24 October 2018