St Luke's Anglicare was established in 1979 by the Anglican Diocese of Bendigo with the support and cooperation of the Uniting Church. St Luke's came into being as a result of the decision to close St Luke's Toddlers' Home, which had been operating in Bendigo since 1932. In August 2014, St Luke's became part of Anglicare Victoria.
St Luke's Anglicare operated in regional Victoria and into the Riverina area of New South Wales. St Luke's had offices in Bendigo as well as Albury, Castlemaine, Deniliquin, Echuca, Kyneton, Maryborough and Swan Hill.
St Luke's Anglicare, through its Child Youth and Family Services divisions, delivered out-of home care services including foster care, Adolescent Community Placement (ACP), Intensive Case Management Service (ICMS), residential care, permanent care and adoption and caregiver recruitment and support services.
In 1979, St Luke's began under the name St Luke's Family Care. It began its foster care service in 1981, its Supported Accommodation Assistance program in 1984, and in January 1999 commenced an Adolescent Community Placement program. In July 1999, the agency was incorporated as St Luke's Anglicare. In 2001 Westate Community Development's Adoption and Permanent Care program merged with St Luke's.
Sources used to compile this entry: Holton, John, Doorways: celebrating 25 years of St Luke's, St Luke's Innovative Resources, Bendigo, 2004.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 5 February 2009, Last modified: 14 January 2019