State of Tasmania
The Industrial Department was established around 1916. It was responsible for the Labour Bureau and state immigration. In 1930, the Industrial Department closed and its activities were transferred to the Charitable Grants Department.
Pearce gives the starting date for the immigration functions of the Department as 1925. However, Wettenhall gives 1916.
In 1924, the Industrial Department oversaw the Youths for Farm Work Scheme.
Sources used to compile this entry: Pearce, Ian and Cowling, Clare, Guide to the public records of Tasmania section four: records relating to free immigration, Archives Office of Tasmania, 1975, http://stors.tas.gov.au/au-7-0095-02507_1; Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 20 May 2014