The Launceston Police Watch House, run by the government, replaced the Launceston Gaol in 1917. It was a place where prisoners, sometimes under the age of 18, could be held temporarily. In 1976, the functions of the Police Watch House were transferred to new police buildings.
The Police Department ran the Launceston Watch House but the HM Gaols Department and its successors had oversight of the inmates.
Sources used to compile this entry: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 'Feature article - 100 years of prison service: Tasmania's history has a compelling link with prisons', in Tasmanian Year Book, 2004, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/7d12b0f6763c78caca257061001cc588/1cdf5dce2a41d1e3ca256c320024172a!OpenDocument; White, Rob, 'Prisons', in The companion to Tasmanian history, Centre for Tasmanian Historical Studies, 2005, http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/P/Prisons.htm.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 16 May 2014, Last modified: 12 June 2014