State of Tasmania
The Law Department replaced the Attorney-General's Department in 1983. It was an amalgamation of the Attorney-General's Department, the Solicitor-General, Corporate Affairs, and the Prisons Department, known as the Corrective Services Division. In 1989, the new Labor government transferred the Division to the Department for Community Services. The Law Department became the Department of Justice in about 1992.
From 1989, the Law Department managed the Magistracy Departments. Lower courts, including the children's courts, came under the Magistracy Departments.
1824 - 1936 Sherriff and Gaols Department
1901 - 1924 Sherriff and Gaols Department
1823 - 1856 Law Officers' Establishment
1936 - 1944 HM Gaols Department
1856 - 1901 Attorney General's Department
1944 - 1959 Gaols Department
1901 - 1983 Attorney-General's Department
1959 - 1983 Prisons Department
1983 - c. 1992 Law Department
c. 1992 - 1998 Department of Justice
1998 - c. 2004 Department of Justice and Industrial Relations
c. 2004 - Department of Justice
Sources used to compile this entry: Evans, Caroline, A 'Pink Palace'? Risdon Prison, 1960-2004, Department of Justice, Hobart, 2004, 128 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 3 April 2014