Colony of Tasmania
The Law Officers' Establishment, set up in 1823, was a loose term to describe the organisation that contained the Supreme Court and the Sheriff's Department, which after the early 1830s, included gaols, which housed children. In 1856, following self-government, the Law Officer's Establishment became the Office of the Attorney-General, one of the first three ministerial portfolios.
The Supreme Court Registry recorded, among other things, births, deaths, and marriages.
1823 - 1856 Law Officers' Establishment
1856 - 1901 Attorney General's Department
1901 - 1983 Attorney-General's Department
1983 - c. 1992 Law Department
c. 1992 - 1998 Department of Justice
1998 - c. 2004 Department of Justice and Industrial Relations
c. 2004 - Department of Justice
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 27 March 2014