The Tasmanian State Archives opened in 1949. This was the first attempt in Tasmania to manage, rather than just hold, state records. In 1962, it became the Archives Office of Tasmania.
Before 1949, the Chief Secretary's Department held state records. They kept them in the basement of the government buildings in Franklin Square, Hobart. In 1949, a deputation of historians complained to the Premier about the lack of a trained archivist and the difficulties of carrying out research in a basement. This led to the transfer of the records to the State Library Department and the appointment of a full time archivist.
The Tasmanian State Archives moved to the newly completed State Library building in 1962. Three years later, under the Archives Act 1965, it became the Archives Office of Tasmania.
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 17 March 2014, Last modified: 7 April 2014