M1283  St John Bosco Boys Town contains correspondence between Boys' Town and the Social Services Department. The topic of the correspondence includes the extension of the school buildings to make room for British migrant boys, some limited information about the boys who were at Boys' Town before the migrants, Commonwealth and state payments towards the support of the boys, the possibility of taking boys from countries other than Britain, the return of one boy to his mother in England, the type of boy that the authorities at Boys' Town hoped to receive, and plans in 1958 to take a new group of migrant boys. These boys never arrived. The file names some boys.
Closed C50 years
C50 means that, except to particular groups, these records are closed to the general public for 50 years from the date of the last entry. Usually people wishing to access them should contact the Department of Premier and Cabinet. However, since these records are more than 50 years old, they may be open so that it is best to contact the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office first. Staff at the Office may also be able to assist you in finding other relevant records.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 21 February 2014, Last modified: 9 December 2014