The Central Board of Health, which had five members appointed by the Governor, was established by the Public Health Act 1885. Its purpose was to exercise some control over local Boards of Health appointed by municipal councils. In 1903, the Public Health Department replaced the Central Board of Health.
1885 - 1903 Central Board of Health
1904 - 1956 Public Health Department
1956 - 1989 Department of Health Services
1989 - 1993 Department of Health
1993 - 1998 Department of Community and Health Services
1998 - Department of Health and Human Services
2018 - Department of Communities Tasmania
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 11 January 2013, Last modified: 18 March 2014