The Sight Saving School opened in March 1940 on the grounds of the Elizabeth Street Practicing School. Its purpose was to prevent children with partial sight from losing it and to teach them Braille. The school closed around 1991.
The Sight Saving School evolved out of the school for children who were blind at the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution.
In about 1960, the Sight Saving School became the Bruce Hamilton Sight Saving School in honour of a Tasmanian ophthalmologist. It later became the Bruce Hamilton School.
Children at the School boarded at the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institute.
Sources used to compile this entry: Smith, Elizabeth Joy, Time is the builder: a history of the Royal Tasmanian Society for the Blind and Deaf, 1887-1987, Elizabeth Joy Smith, Hobart, 1989, 190 pp; Correspondence with Tasmania State Library and Archive Service, 19 February 2018, held in files at the eScholarship Research Centre, University of Melbourne. "Integration brings out students' strengths", the Mercury newspaper, 21 August 1990, p. 22.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 11 December 2012, Last modified: 19 February 2018