The After Care School, held in St John's Home for the Aged at St John's Park, New Town, opened in the 1940s. It provided schooling for children with disabilities. The School appears to have closed in 1957.
The After Care School provided schooling for children receiving outpatient care at Wingfield House or living in the Mental Defectives Home, both of which were on the St John's site. It also accepted children who had been referred by other schools. In 1957, there were 14 children at the School, half of whom received treatment at Wingfield.
It seems likely that the children at the After Care School transferred to Wingfield School in 1957, when new classrooms were built for it nearer to Wingfield House.
Sources used to compile this entry: Killalea, Anne, The great scourge: the Tasmanian infantile paralysis epidemic 1937-, Tasmanian Historical Research Association, Hobart, 1995, 165 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 22 October 2012, Last modified: 18 March 2014