The Ladies' Christian Association, a Protestant organisation whose members believed in avoiding alcohol, started in the late 1870s. It began and managed a number of charitable institutions. The Association probably came to an end in the late 1920s or early 1930s.
The Ladies' Christian Association appears to have been associated with the Young Women's Christian Association where it often held its meetings.
Committees of the Ladies' Christian Association ran the Anchorage Home, Beth-Salem, a home for women who were elderly, and the Sailors' Rest. They carried out work at the Hobart Gaol in Campbell Street. In 1881, the Association started the Hobart Girls Training School.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Christian Convention', The Mercury (Hobart), 20 June 1878, p. 2, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8964556; 'Training School Reformatory', The Mercury (Hobart), 22 January 1881, p. 2, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8992663; 'Girls' Industrial and Reformatory Training Schools', The Mercury (Hobart), 18 April 1887, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9133073; 'Hobart Licensing Bench', The Mercury (Hobart), 2 December 1891, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12731634; 'Ladies Christian Association', The Mercury (Hobart), 7 September 1905, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12317461.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 16 August 2012, Last modified: 17 March 2014