St Joseph's School was opened by the Sisters of Charity in Hobart in 1847. They extended this work to open St Joseph's Orphanage in 1879. St Joseph's School did not provide residential accommodation.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Charity Sisters have completed first century of child care for Church in Tasmania', The Leader, 8 July 1979, p. 5.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 20 April 2012, Last modified: 17 March 2014