The Society for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb began in 1887. Its purpose was to provide welfare services, education, and industrial training to children and adults with visual or hearing disabilities. The Society opened the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution in 1898. In 1987, following the release of the Arthur Young Review of Services, the Society split into two branches, the Royal Guide Dogs and the Tasmanian Deaf Society or Tasdeaf.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 29 March 2012, Last modified: 11 March 2014