The Public Service Commissioner replaced the Public Service Board in 1918. The Commissioner was responsible for the organisation and staffing of government departments. In 1973, a Public Service Board replaced the Public Service Commissioner.
Under the Public Service Act 1923, the Public Service Commissioner organised and staffed government departments, supervised the way they worked, and attempted to improve their efficiency by measuring and monitoring their work practices. He also investigated incidents of maladministration. The Act provided for the Public Service Commissioner to become a separate department, which it did in 1924. However, since it was supposed to be non-political, it did not have a minister.
There were only a few constraints on the Public Service Commissioner's authority and these varied over the years. One of them was a Public Service Appeal Board, established in 1958, which enabled public servants to appeal against his decisions.
In 1965, the Commissioner undertook an investigation into the management of Weeroona Girls' Training Centre.
The Public Service Act of 1973 abolished the office of Public Service Commissioner.
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 21 March 2012, Last modified: 17 March 2014