The Public Service Board was established in 1905 by the Public Service Act. It managed the employment of public servants. In 1918, the Public Service Board was replaced by a Public Service Commissioner.
The Public Service Board had two independently appointed members and one, who held the position part time, elected by public servants. However, Board members changed quickly which caused discontinuity in policy. This led to the Public Service Act 1918 which provided for a single Public Service Commissioner.
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 21 March 2012, Last modified: 17 March 2014