The Sisters of St Joseph were founded in 1866 at Penola, South Australia by Father Julian Tenison and Sister Mary MacKillop to provide a Catholic education to children who were poor or living in remote areas. They came to Tasmania in 1887 and established a foundation community at Westbury. The sisters have since opened and managed numerous schools throughout the state, including St Joseph's Waterton Hall.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Tasmanian Storyline', in Sisters of St Joseph Tasmania, http://web.archive.org/web/20120109085119/http:/www.tassiejosephites.org.au/history/tasmanian-storyline.html.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 23 February 2012, Last modified: 11 September 2014