St Giles School, run by the Society for the Care of Crippled Children, opened in 1931. The School provided an education to the children with physical disabilities who lived at St Giles Home or attended it for treatment. Children did not live at the School. In the 1980s, the Education Department took the School over and it became Newstead Heights School.
St Giles' School began as classes in the Launceston General Hospital in 1931. In 1941, a ward at St Giles' Home was taken over for teaching. A special classroom was built in 1943 and it became known as the St Giles' Hospital Class. In 1959, the class became St Giles' School. It catered for children with physical disabilities aged between three and 18.
The St Giles' Parents and Friends Association and the Society for the Care of Crippled Children's Association provided monetary and practical support to St Giles' School.
By the early 1980s, the School needed modernising. The Education Department took it over, erected a new building on the site, and renamed it Newstead Heights School. In 2013, it remains a special School.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Aid sought to save St Giles', Examiner, 24 November 1965, p. 9.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 20 February 2012, Last modified: 15 March 2014