The Catholic Welfare Organisation originated in 1940 to provide amenities to the soldiers in the Catholic hut at Brighton. At the end of World War Two, it appears to have extended its activities to other social causes. For instance, it provided support to girls leaving St Joseph's Orphanage. The Catholic Welfare Organisation closed in about 1948.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Welfare work extended', The Mercury, 6 March 1942, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article25894184.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 20 February 2012, Last modified: 15 March 2014