Kennerley Children's Homes Records date from 1869. The records include nominal rolls, photographs, annual reports, and personal files. However, this is a small remnant of the original collection. Kennerley Boys' Home (now Kennerley Children's Home) sold their site in Lansdowne Crescent in 1969. About that time, most of the records were destroyed by a fire in a South Hobart shed.
Care leavers (and their families) wanting to find information or access personal files can contact Kennerley Children's Home. Kennerley's 2012 policy statement explains the organisation's policy around access to confidential information. It states that 'clients' of Kennerley Children's Homes, including former residents, have the right to access their records and advise the organisation of any inaccuracies. It also sets out the procedures for family members of former residents to access records.
The records held by Kennerley Children's Home dates from 1869.
The collection includes:
A-Z records of individual case files with attached information and photos if available.
From 1994 to 2002, the annual reports are only auditor's reports. Since 2002 annual reports have contained other information.
These records include a list of Chairmen of the Board of Management (1869-2000), a list of Secretaries to the Board of Management (1869-2000), and a list of Superintendents/Managers (1869-c.2004)
These records include house plans, various letters, information on Boys' Home Lansdowne Crescent, Concert program, Members' records, standards and duties of carers.
Various newspaper articles and photos.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 14 February 2012, Last modified: 28 January 2015