The New Town Charitable Institution, run by the government, opened in 1879. From 1896, the Boys' Training School and the offices of the Neglected Children's Department were at the Institution. In 1912, it became the New Town Infirmary.
The New Town Charitable Institution was housed in the former buildings of the Queen's Orphan School after it closed in 1879. In addition to the Boys' Training School and the offices of the Neglected Children's Department, the Institution provided accommodation to people who were poor and aged, or had disabilities. Between 1896 and 1911, the offices of the Charitable Grants Department were at the Institution. Since 1874, the Infant Orphan School had been used as a lying-in hospital for young women with intellectual disabilities. The Institution continued to serve this purpose.
Sources used to compile this entry: Brown, Joan C., 'Poverty is not a crime': the development of social services in Tasmania, 1803-1900, Tasmanian Historical Research Association, Hobart, 1972, 192 pp; Pearce, Kim and Doyle, Susan, New Town: a social history, Hobart City Council, Hobart, 2002, 144 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 27 October 2011, Last modified: 19 March 2014