The first Methodist Church service in South Australia was held at Glenelg on 22 January 1837. This was followed by the formal opening of the Church in March 1838. In 1854, responsibility for the church changed from the Board of Missions in London to an Australasian Conference, of which South Australia was a district. By then, according to the Cyclopedia of South Australia (1909), there were 38 churches and 30 other preaching places in the colony, with ten ministers for the 9380 members. On 22 June 1977, the Methodist Church of Australasia became part of the Uniting Church in Australia.
1837 - 1977 Methodist Church
1977 - Uniting Church SA
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Methodist Church', in Adelaidia, South Australian Government, http://adelaidia.sa.gov.au/organisations/methodist-church; Painter, Alison, '11 May 1837 The Methodist Church', in Professional Historians Association South Australia, http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/may/11-may-1837-the-methodist-church.shtml.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 20 February 2015