Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
South Australia - Organisation

Point McLeay Mission Station (1859 - 1974)

  • Point McLeay Mission Station

    Point McLeay Mission Station, 1926, courtesy of State Library of South Australia.
    Details

From
1859
To
1974
Categories
Government-run, Home, Mission and Non-denominational
Alternative Names
  • Raukkan (Later known as)

The Point McLeay Mission Station was established at lake Alexandrina by the Aborigines' Friends' Association in 1859. Dormitories were set up at the Mission for orphan Aboriginal children. When Poonindie Mission closed in 1894 some families were transferred to Point McLeay. The State Government took control of the Mission in 1916 and the dormitories were closed. The Point McLeay Mission Station was handed back to the Ngarrindjeri people in 1974 and was renamed Raukkan in 1982.

Details

The Point McLeay Mission Station was established by the Aborigines' Friends' Association and the Reverend George Taplin in 1859 on the south banks of Lake Alexandrina in Ngarrindjeri country. It was established to provide assistance to the Aboriginal people of the Lower Lakes district. A school and cottages were constructed and a farm developed. Medical assistance and religious training were also supplied. Dormitories, referred to as boarding-houses or 'orphan houses' in the 1903-1904 Protector's Reports, were established at the Mission for 'orphan children'.

When Poonindie Mission closed in 1894 some families were transferred to Point McLeay Mission Station.

Poor land quality, lack of funding and competition from local farmers made it difficult for the Mission to be self sustaining. In 1916 the state government took over the Point McLeay Mission Station and it became a government reserve. At this time the dormitories for children were closed. However, the Mission continued to be referred to as a Mission Station well into the 1950s. In the 1923 Report suggestions were made that a training school and new dormitories for girls and 'orphan' boys be established, however, it appears new dormitories were not opened.

In 1974 Point McLeay was handed back to the Ngarrindjeri people, and in 1982 the settlement was renamed Raukkan.

Point McLeay Mission Station was mentioned in the Bringing Them Home Report (1997) as an institution that housed Indigenous children removed from their families.

Location

1859 - 1974
Location - Point McLeay Misssion Station was situated on the banks of Lake Alexandrina at Point McLeay, South Australia. Location: Point McLeay

Publications

Online Resources

Photos

Point McLeay Mission Station
Title
Point McLeay Mission Station
Type
Image
Date
1926
Source
State Library of South Australia

Details

Classroom, Point McLeay
Title
Classroom, Point McLeay
Type
Image
Date
1927
Source
State Library of South Australia

Details

Sources used to compile this entry: 'Aboriginal Australians and the River: Aboriginal missions on the River Murray', in SA Memory, 2010, http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1317; 'Taplin and Pt McLeay', in Firstsources.info, http://www.firstsources.info/taplin-and-point-mcleay.html.

Prepared by: Gary George