In 1995 the Julia Farr Centre changed its name to Julia Farr Services. It provided residential care and assistance for people living with a disability and aged care services. In 2006 Julia Farr Services became a part of Disability SA. While some portions of the Fullarton site remained in operation, others parts were sold. The former West Wing of the Julia Farr Centre, which was vacated in the early 80s due to asbestos, remained derelict for many years. In 2006 what remained of the original Julia Farr Centre site was renamed Highgate Park.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Home for Incurables', in History of Disability in South Australia, Disability Information and Resource Centre Inc, 2007, http://web.archive.org/web/20140213061156/http://history.dircsa.org.au/1800-1899/home-for-incurables/; 'Residents look forward to calling former Julia Farr centre home', news.com.au, 5 October 2012, https://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/residents-look-forward-to-calling-former-julia-farr-centre-home/news-story/30101436444b39f8a5907979d43bfc1e; Emails and conversations with the volunteer archivist for the Highgate Park Heritage Room.
Prepared by: Gary George and Karen George
Created: 20 June 2013, Last modified: 12 June 2014