Greenslade Home was the first residence to open on the Magill site of the Methodist Children's Home in 1912. It housed up to 30 children. In 1921 when the Methodist Children's Home opened Roberts Home, Greenslade housed girls and younger boys. When Cann Home was opened in 1924, Greenslade became a residence for girls only. In 1964, after the Methodist Children's Homes had become Lentara, Greenslade was subdivided to provide a family residence for ten children with a separate flat and Matron's office. Greenslade closed in the late 1970s and was sold in 1978.
Greenslade Home opened as the first Home on the new site for the Methodist Children's Home at Penfold Road, Magill in 1912. It was specially built on six acres (2.4 hectares) of land purchased by the Church, to replace the overcrowded Methodist Children's Home at Largs Bay. Whereas the Largs Bay cottage could only accommodate up to 11 children, the new building was expected to cater for up to 30.
The foundation stones of the new Home were laid by Mrs E. Greenslade, Mrs Roberts and Sister Grace of the Central Mission on Saturday 18 May 1912. The Home was officially opened on Saturday 7 December of that same year.
After Roberts Home was purchased in 1921, Greenslade became a residence for girls. As the larger of the two residences Greenslade also cared for a small number of younger boys between the ages of 2 and 8 years. In 1924 with the building of Cann Home for older boys, Roberts Home took over the younger boys and Greenslade became a residence for girls only. At this time the Magill site was known officially as the Methodist Children's Homes.
In 1928 the matron of Greenslade Home was Miss Roper, the matron of Roberts Home was Miss Maddeford and the matron of Cann Home was Miss Lang. In 1960 the Methodist Children's Homes at Magill became known as Lentara.
In 1964, in line with a general move at Lentara from dormitory style living to Cottage Care, Greenslade Home was subdivided to provide a family residence for ten children with a separate flat and office for the Matron.
Greenslade closed in 1976. In 1977 the Lentara site was subdivided and the original Greenslade building was sold in 1978. In 2011 the building was renovated and in 2013 it was a private residence known as Lentara.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A HOME FOR CHILDREN - Laying the Foundation Stones', The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), 20 May 1912, p. 11, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5345048; 'WOMEN'S UNIVERSE by "Felise." - Week by Week - For Needy Children', The Mail (Adelaide, South Australia), 28 October 1922, p. 18, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63773245; 'Methodist Mission Children', The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), 9 April 1928, p. 15, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article49369407; Bailey, Ivor, Mission story: the story of the Adelaide Central Mission, 1987; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/; Annual Reports of the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission (1910-1952).
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 24 February 2011, Last modified: 1 August 2014